Medical Treatment for Hair Loss
Most people, men or women, may experience temporary or permanent hair loss. This medical condition causes psychological problems such as loss of confidence and unhappiness. As there are many reasons for hair loss, medical treatment for hair loss is divided into many options.
In this article, you can learn about the causes of hair loss, the most effective remedies, and treatment methods. First, let’s explain the definition of hair loss in the most straightforward way.
First, it is normal to lose 50-60 hair strands daily. Hair loss, on the other hand, is a situation in which the same number of hair strands does not come out quickly instead of the hair strands that fall out. In other words, if the balance between the hair shedding and the hair formed changes, your hair will be reduced. Also, hair loss is called alopecia. There are many types of alopecia.
What Causes Hair Loss?
First of all, let’s say this: The cause of hair loss can be genetic, or some diseases can cause it. In addition, within the scope of medical treatment for hair loss, let’s mention the following. Deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals can cause female pattern hair loss or male pattern hair loss problems.
A certain amount of hair loss is necessary for human health. In other words, it is essential that the weakened hair strands fall out and new ones grow in their place. As a result, we get stronger and healthier hair. If the amount of hair shedding is more than 10% of your total amount of hair, there is a problem. For patchy hair loss, you should consult a dermatologist.
What is a Common Type of Hair Loss?
Hair gets thinner, especially after the age of 40. In addition, the frequency of the hair is reduced to a certain extent. This process increases as people get older. However, getting older often does not cause a significant baldness problem. So, what is a common type of hair loss?
Let’s answer this question: It is the widespread thinning hair in a significant part of a person’s scalp. Or the absence of hair on most parts of the person’s scalp. Let’s explain common hair loss types within the scope of medical treatment for hair loss:
1. What is Telogen Effluvium?
- These types of hair loss occur in the form of the hair thinning on the scalp.
- Nutritional disorders and imbalances of sex hormones cause hair loss.
- Some diseases may cause hair loss, such as anemia and thyroid disorder.
- Depending on the medical treatment for hair loss we can say that: Stress-related diseases cause hair loss.
- Genetic factors are important in hair loss. Therefore, it is necessary to examine the family history of the person.
- Hair may fall out due to serious surgeries, severe illnesses, and infections.
- Hormonal drugs, antidepressants, lithium, beta-blockers, and levodopa derivative drugs cause hair loss.
- Hair loss is seen in women due to pregnancy.
2. What is Androgenic Genetic Alopecia?
The male pattern hair loss is called androgenetic alopecia. Some men suffer from this androgenic alopecia hair loss at an early age. Within the scope of medical treatment for hair loss, let us state the following: In the problem of androgenetic alopecia, the anterior hairline is pulled back. Or the hair falls from the top.
Androgenic alopecia, frequently seen in men, is also the cause of hair loss in women. This type of hair loss affects both men and women negatively. For this reason, people can also apply to those not experts in hair loss. In addition, they can use many products that do not affect their problem positively.
You can consult Dr. Resul Yaman for a hair loss problem. He has a clinic in Istanbul. Dr. Resul Yaman will guide you about effective and permanent medical treatment for hair loss. Dr. Resul Yaman also offers effective solutions to his patients for female pattern baldness and female pattern hair loss problems.
What is Regional Type of Hair Loss?
In this type of hair loss, most hair on the scalp does not fall out. The problem occurs in some regions of the scalp. Regional hair loss types are as follows:
1. Alopecia Areata
One of the most common regional hair losses is alopecia areata. The boundaries of the area of hair loss are sharp. In addition, hair loss is in the form of specific gaps. The hair loss can also occur in the eyebrows and beard.
The main cause of this disease is mostly stress. Antibodies in the patient’s body attack the hair follicles. A low dose of cortisone is injected for the treatment of alopecia areata. Also, immunotherapy or UV therapies are other options.
2. Traction Alopecia
It is an inconvenience caused by the person’s tight collection of hair, frequent blow-drying, and tongs. It is essential to reduce harmful habits in this type of hair loss.
The areas of baldness that occur when children pluck their hair are called trichotillomania. Also, children pluck their eyebrows. We recommend the following for trichotillomania within the scope of medical treatment for hair loss: Children need to receive psychiatric support for this disorder.
4. Fungal Disease of the Scalp
In this disease, the hair does not fall from the root. Only the strands of hair are broken and spilled over the skin. Round gaps occur in the patient’s head. This disease, called tinea capitis, is seen in children. Doctors treat the patient according to the type of fungus on the skin.
How is the Diagnosis Made for the Medical Treatment of Hair Loss?
A doctor’s examination is essential to find the cause of hair problems, which are very common lately. A professional and experienced doctor will find the cause of the problem. Within the scope of hair loss treatment, a specialist doctor applies the following while investigating the cause of hair loss:
- Dermoscopic examination: Within the scope of medical treatment for hair loss; the doctor thoroughly examines the hair follicles with the device.
- Blood test: Biochemical analysis of the patient’s blood should be done. Thus, it is understood which vitamins or minerals are missing in the patient who has the problem.
- Hair Pulling Test: It is a test to understand the severity of hair loss of the patient. For example, in male pattern hair loss, the hair on the front of the patient’s head should be tested. When the doctor touches the front of the patient’s head, he will detect that the hair is falling out.
How is the Medical Treatment of Hair Loss Done?
After the doctor finds the cause of hair loss, he will begin treatment. Thanks to medical and technological developments, there are various treatment options for thinning hair and hair loss. In addition, the doctor should follow a specific treatment method for each patient.
If your hair is falling out, read the following items within the scope of medical treatment for hair loss:
- First of all, there are effective treatments for thinning hair and hair loss.
- Hair loss treatments can take months. You have to be patient to get rid of this problem.
- An important issue is that two patients may have a hair loss problem for the same reason. However, the same treatments may not give the same effective results for these two patients. In short, the appropriate treatment method should be applied to each patient.
- One point you should not forget is that hair loss is not a problem that can be solved with products bought from the pharmacy or the market.
- Hair loss problems should be solved by consulting a doctor. Dr. Resul Yaman clinic offers you quality service in hair loss treatment.
What are the Types of Medical Treatment for Hair Loss?
- Hair Transplantation: The surgeon performs microsurgery on areas with no hair on the patient’s scalp. In this method, hair follicles are taken from the nape area where the patient’s hair is strong. Thus, these hair follicles are integrated into the recipient area, the bald area.
The doctor’s goal in hair transplantation is to gain permanent and natural-looking hair for the balding area. The doctor performing this surgical procedure must be experienced and skilled. Within the scope of medical treatment for hair loss, we recommend that you apply to a hair transplant doctor Dr. Resul Yaman for this treatment.
- Radiation Therapy: Laser is used to strengthening thinning hair. The FDA has approved radiation therapy. In addition, the laser applied to the hair is painless. One or two sessions are held per week. Each session can last an average of 15 minutes. The effect of radiation therapy is seen within a few months. However, if this treatment is not applied, its effect disappears.
- Hair Mesotherapy and PRP: Depending on the medical treatment for hair loss; the applications of these two methods have similar features. In hair mesotherapy treatment, vitamins, minerals, and various valuable components are injected into hair loss points with fine needles. In hair PRP treatment, plasma obtained from the patient’s blood is injected into the areas of hair loss.
- Medications and Supportive Treatments: These alone do not treat hair loss. However, it is recommended by the doctor to support the treatment. This includes massaging the scalp and using zinc and antioxidant vitamins.
Drugs Used in Medical Treatment for Hair Loss
Within the scope of medical treatment for hair loss let’s talk that two effective drugs approved by the FDA for the problem of hair loss.
Finasteride, one of the drugs recommended by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), prevents hair loss. This drug, taken orally as a tablet, is very effective in male pattern hair loss. Finasteride is one of two drugs approved by the FDA. In other words, Finasteride has been accepted among thousands of drugs sold for hair loss in the world.
This drug stops hair loss. It also makes thin hair thick again. But Finasteride Propecia cannot grow hair in the bald area. The effect of this drug manifests itself in the first weeks. It may show its effect in some patients in 6 months or more. This drug’s side effects can be sexual reluctance, a decrease in sperm count, and erectile dysfunction. However, these problems were seen in 2% of people using Finasteride.
The second prescription medication approved by the Drug Administration FDA for medical treatment for hair loss is minoxidil. This drug is used for hair loss in women. It is also used to treat androgenic alopecia lose hair in men. Minoxidil is used by applying it to the scalp. Moreover, it is available in foam and spray form. This drug is more effective for thinning hair in the vertex areas of patients.
Minoxidil rogaine does not completely regenerate dead hair follicles. In other words, it does not affect the bald area. People feel the effect of this drug after four months. Effective results are obtained when minoxidil is injected into the scalp with micro-needling. Side effects of this drug can be expressed as skin dryness, irritation, and flaking. In addition, if you do not use it carefully, it causes unwanted hair growth on the tops of the fingers and neck.
Sawpalmetto and Biotin Vitamin for Medical Treatment for Hair Loss
The use of Sawpalmetto in medical treatments has increased in the last ten years. Important scientific studies show that Sawpalmetto will be an alternative to the drug Finasteride. As part of medical treatment for hair loss, Dr. Resul Yaman recommends using Sawpalmetto for his patients. Sawpalmetto is obtained by extracting it from the plant. Also, it has few side effects. In addition to these features of Sawpalmetto, Dr.Resul Yaman is also satisfied with its results.
Biotin vitamin is essential in developing skin elements such as hair and nails. In addition, biotin should be evaluated within the scope of supportive therapy. In particular, multivitamin-supported combined food supplements containing Sawpalmetto- Biotin and its combinations are very effective in stopping hair loss. These nutritional supplements are well suited for post-operative and pre-operative use.
Shampoos for Medical Treatment for Hair Loss
Choosing a shampoo that prevents hair loss, especially suitable for skin structure, can reduce hair loss. However, the hair loss problem is mainly related to the hair follicle under the skin. In other words, shampoos do not penetrate under the skin. Shampoos solve dermatological problems on the surface. It also slows down the hair loss process.
Topical spray and ampoule-like products are left on the skin for about 6 hours. As a result, it is effective if it is absorbed under the skin. In this article, we have explained all the details within the scope of medical treatment for hair loss. As a result, your first step to solve the hair loss problem will be to go to a professional doctor. The doctor will find the source of this problem and guide you. You have to follow the doctor’s instructions and be patient to heal.