Get Mail!

Beard to Scalp Hair Transplant: Is it Possible?

Hair transplants are a wonderful thing and they are the most effective way to combat hair loss permanently. A question I often get asked is what hair can be used in these procedures?

Most commonly, donor hair from the back of your head is used as this will match the hair in your areas of hair loss the closest. However, that is not the only source!

In this guide, I look at a different type of procedure – the beard to scalp hair transplant where hair is taken from your facial hair to help combat hair loss!

Using Beard Hair for a Hair Transplant – Yes it’s Possible

Let’s get right into the juicy bits – yes, you can have facial hair from your beard transplanted to your scalp to combat hair loss! A qualified and experienced surgeon like Dr. Resul Yaman can perform this procedure as an alternative or additional method combined with standard scalp to scalp hair transplants.

The Procedure – FUE or DHI Beard to Scalp Hair Transplant

Typically, an FUE or DHI procedure is used as opposed to the older FUT method that leaves a long, thin, strip scar. FUE and DHI involve using a surgical tool to remove individual grafts from the donor site (i.e. your beard) and implanting them into the areas of hair loss on your scalp.

These procedures have a slightly higher success rate than FUT, offer faster recovery times, and are better suited for beard to scalp surgeries.


With any type of hair transplant, there is scarring – this is unavoidable because of the method of graft extraction. FUT procedures leave a long, thin scar on the back of your head but these are not used for beard transplantation.

FUE and DHI leave virtually indistinguishable circular scars where the grafts have been removed from your beard. If you intend to maintain your beard and keep it fully-grown afterward then any scarring will be invisible.

Even if you opt for a shorter beard or stubble, the scarring is easily disguised. It may be noticeable depending on how the procedure went if you want to go clean-shaven afterward.

Success Rates

Success rates are typically no different compared to FUE and DHI surgeries in scalp-to-scalp procedures. Indeed, oftentimes, beard hair is more resilient, grows better than hair on your hair, and is less likely to be subject to hair loss.

Considerations for Beard to Scalp Hair Transplant Procedures

While the beard to scalp hair transplant is possible, this doesn’t mean that it’s plain sailing, and it isn’t suitable for everyone! Also, there are considerations and potential complications that you must be aware of.

1. Beard to Scalp Hair Transplants are Not Common

Let me state that this type of procedure is NOT common. Studies show that traditional hair transplants using hair from your scalp account for over 90% of hair transplants. The other 10% is made up of around 7% beard hair, and 2-3% chest hair.

2. They are Typically Used As a Top-Up After Standard Hair Transplants

Next, a hair transplant from beard to head is not used as a first line of defense against hair loss. Typically, if you are suffering from hair loss like male pattern baldness, you would have a standard hair transplant first.

Beard to scalp transplants are generally used as a secondary procedure – if you need more density, or your hair loss has not completely been covered. Also, this type of surgery can be used if you are running out of viable donor areas on the back of your head.

3. There is the Potential for Scarring on Your Face

While FUE and DHI procedures are the best in terms of scarring, there is the potential for the scars on your face to be visible! This is something you must consider, and you must think about whether you intend to keep your beard long-term as this effectively covers any scarring.

4. If Used Extensively, it Doesn’t Create the Same Natural Appearance

Take a look at the hair on your head, and your facial hair. In most instances, they are incredibly different in appearance, thickness, and sometimes color. This can affect how natural your hair transplant looks and it is why beard to scalp hair transplants are usually spread out across a wider area and not used to cover large areas of hair loss.

Beard to Scalp Hair Transplants Are Viable But Not For Everyone

So, if you have an epic luscious beard and can grow facial hair instantly, the good news is that beard to scalp hair transplant procedures are a thing and they can yield great results.

However, please don’t ignore the considerations I listed as this type of surgery is not suitable for everyone. It is better suited for those who have already had a standard hair transplant and need a “top-up” to add more density as opposed to those who have severe hair loss and haven’t had any prior treatments.